Social Icons

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

At the Railway Station



A. Finding where to catch the Train

  • Is there a railway station near here?
  • Is there a subway near here?
  • Where’s the nearest underground/subway?
  • Can you tell me where there’s an underground/a subway station near here?
  • Are there any underground stations round here?
  • Could you direct me to an underground station?

B. Getting the right train

  • Do you know when the next train goes to town?
  • How often do these trains run?
  • When’s the next train to the airport?
  • Which line/train goes to the park?
  • Which train do I take to get to the college?
  • What number train do I catch for the city?
  • Is there a train that goes to the airport?
  • Is this the right line for the station?
  • Get a ticket from the machine.
  • The city service goes from platform 2.
  • You’ll have to change at the next station.
  • The trains run every ten minutes.
  • You need the C line.

C. At the station

  • Is this the right line for the airport?
  • Does this go to the city centre?
  • The Central Park, please.
  • I want to go to the city.
  • How much is it?
  • What/how much is the fare?
  • Can I get a return ticket?
  • Do I have to change?
  • How many stations/stops is it?
  • Which station should I get off, please?
  • Is mine the last stop?

D. At the Station: Dialogue

  • How soon does the train leave?
  • It leaves in ten minutes.
  • Do I have time to check my bags?
  • I don’t think you do.
  • How much is the fare to Mysore?
  • A hundred fifty Rupees round trip.
  • What time does the next train leave?
  • The next one leaves at six thirty from track 6.
  • At what time does the next train leave for the city?
  • There’s one at four and another at four forty-five.
  • What’s the fare?
  • It’s eighty including tax.
  • Did your cousin arrive on time?
  • No. He was an hour late.
  • Did you meet him at the station?
  • I was right there on the platform when the train came.
  • How do you get home every day?
  • I take the commuter train to Nungambakkom.
  • Isn’t it rather expensive going by train?
  • No. I buy a Thirty-trip Season ticket each month.

E. Railway Reservation

  • Excuse me, could you please tell me if I can get a ticket for Goa, from this counter.
  • Sorry, you will have to go to counter No 3. This counter is only for group booking.
  • Could you please, tell me whether a reservation for the 22nd is available?
  • The enquiry counter will tell you about this. It is at the entrance of the building.
  • Thank you. Here is the enquiry counter. Let me find out whether there are any reservations available for the 22nd.
  • How can I help you?
  • Please, may I know the status of reservation for the 12th of this month?
  • Please wait for a minute. I will just check. In which class would you like to travel?
  • Three-tier AC...
  • There are some berths available in two-tier sleeper but none in three tier AC.
  • Thank you. Do I know have to go to Counter No. 3 to book my ticket?
  • That’s right.
  • Thank you very much.

1 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH