Social Icons

Friday, February 3, 2012

Conversation with Strangers



A.
Talking to complete strangers

  • To be formal talk about the surroundings in Hotel/rest., etc…
    • This is a nice/an interesting place, isn’t it?
    • It’s quite busy/quiet/comfortable, isn’t it?
  • With strangers, talk about the weather.
    • It’s a nice/terrible day today, isn’t it?
    • It’s a bit colder/warmer/nicer today, isn’t it?
  • To be informal, give some information about yourself, and ask for some back:
    • I’ve never been here before, Have you?
    • I’m from (Spain). Where are you from?
  • Complain about something:
    • The service is really bad, isn’t it?
    • They keep these places far too hot, don’t they?

B.
Talking to partial strangers

  • To be normal, ask questions in an office/party:
    • Do you live/work near here?
    • Are you from (this part of the world)?
    • What do you do (for a living)?
    • Where do you live?
  • Talk about the surroundings:
    • This is a very quiet/pleasant/impressive place.
  • To be informal:
    • I don’t know (this part of the world). Do you?
    • It’s difficult to park here. Do you find that?

C.
Personal information

  • To ask about someone, use:
    • Where do you live?
    • What do you do? /What’s your job?
    • Where are you from/where do you come from?
    • Where does your family live/come from?
    • What sort of work/music / food/ art do you like?
  • To talk about yourself, use:
    • I live in (Brussels)
    • I’m a (student), I work (in an office)
    • I’m from / I come from (Munich)
    • My family lives in/come from (Berne)

D.

Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

Where were you born?
I was born here.
Have you lived here all your life?
Yes, I have.
Whom will you get the money from?
We’ll get it from our parents.
What will you spend the money on?
We’ll spend it on books and supplies.
Do you want me to wait for you?
No. I can take care of everything myself.
Can’t we meet a little later then?
Sure. I’ll be through in about half an hour.
What took you so long?
I had a lot of things to do.
We’d better hurry, or we’ll be late.
I thing you’re right.
I’m starting my vacation next week.
You ought to see as much as you can.
That’s what I think too.
You really ought to travel by bus then.
Where did you get that book?
From the library in my neighborhood.
Is it a good library?
Come with me and see for yourself.
We’re going to be late for the meeting.
When does it start?
It starts in exactly fifteen minutes.
I think we’ll be on time.
Something is bothering me.
What’s bothering you?
I think I left the lights on in my apartment.
Well, there’s nothing you can do about it now.
What does that sign say?
It says “No Smoking”.
What are you doing?
I’m putting out my cigarette.
I’m sorry I’m late for our appointment.
What happened?
The traffic was very heavy.
It’s always bad at this time of the day.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH