Social Icons

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Talking about Plans



A.
Read this conversation between John and Mary. What does Mary want to know?

Mary   :  What are you doing this evening John?
John    :  I’m meeting my sister – we’re going to see a film.
Mary   :  Oh. What are you doing tomorrow?
John    :  Um, I don’t think I’m doing anything.
Mary   :  Well, do you want to meet up? Have something to eat?
John    :  Yeah, let’s meet up – that sounds nice. Where shall we eat? Shall we go to the Pizza Corner?

B.
Now practice those phrases. First of all, imagine you’re John. Ask Mary what she’s doing tomorrow.

C.
Read this conversation between John and Mary.


John   : Let’s go to a movie together.
Mary  : I’d love to. When shall we go?
John   : How about coming Friday evening?
Mary  : Let me see…. Oh, I am sorry; I’m having dinner with a friend.
John   : How about the following Tuesday?
Mary  : that’d be great. What shall we see?
John   : Star Wars?
Mary  : No, that’s boring. How about Austin Powers?
John   : Sounds good to me. When shall we meet?
Mary  : Seven? In the Kent Tavern?
John   : Great, see you there.

D.
Bill and Tom are about to finish an English course and they are talking about their future English study plans.

Bill     : Are you going to keep studying English?
Tom   : I hope so. / I plan to watch BBC news every night.
           What about you?
Bill     : I hope to read for an hour every night, but I suppose it will be hard to find enough time.
            Anyway, at least I’ll try to read 21st Century each week.


E.
Practice the conversation given below:

Kate   : Would you like to go to a movie with me?
Ron    : When do you want to go?
Kate   : How about next Friday evening?
Ron    : I’m sorry, I can’t. I’m having dinner with a friend
Kate   : How about coming Tuesday?
Ron    : I go to evening class on Tuesdays.
Kate   : Oh, may be some other time?
Ron    : Yeah, I’ll give you a call.



F.
Practice the following word groups:

Are you busy this evening?
Are you going to John’s party?
Are you doing anything today evening?
Are you free this evening?
Are you planning to do anything this Sunday?
Are you planning a career in Law?
Have you got any plans for the weekend?
Have you got anything for tomorrow?
Have you got anything fixed up for coming Sunday?
Have you made any plans for the Christmas?
What are you doing today evening?
What do you plan to do once you get there?
What are you going to do tomorrow afternoon?
What are your plans for the summer vacation?

G.
Exercise: Make conversations.
i)                    You want to go to an exhibition with your friend.
ii)                  Someone asks you to dinner but you don’t want to go.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH