Social Icons

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Suggestions / Advice



Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

A.
Advising

The best thing to do would be to send him a fax.
Why don’t you let him have his way?
It’s quicker to travel by Car.
Give up bad habits.
Chew your food well.
Brush your teeth.
You should meet him tomorrow.
Don’t you think you ought to send them some money?
If you feel ill, don’t take any exercise.
I wouldn’t do it.
Take it from me; it’s no use waiting for John.
You ought to consult an advocate before it gets worse.
You’d better explain everything to the Principal
If I were you, I’d go now.
Mind your own business.
Hold with both hands.
You ought to call the police.
Arrange / keep everything in order.
Write in ink.
Attend to the guests.
Wait till the proper time
If I were you, I’d dismiss him right now
If you organize a music programme here, you’ll have everyone complaining.
Sacrifice your life for the motherland/country.
Be careful about bad habits.
Do read this interesting story.
I think you shouldn’t put it off any longer.
Take my advice. Turn a deaf ear to his complaints.
You should stop smoking.

B.
Asking for advice

Should I travel by Train or by Air?
How should I dress?
Can you tell me what I should do?
I’m thinking of leaving…
I can’t make up my mind whether to resign or not...
I’d like to ask your advice.
How do you think can I persuade him to go alone?
Could you give me a bit of advice?
What do you think I should do?
What do you advise me to do?
Do you think I must give up without any argument?

C.
Phrases used to give suggestions/advice

What about…
How about….
Why don’t we
Why don’t you…
Why not….
I suggest us…
We could try to…
I’d like to suggest…
If I may make a suggestion…
Shall we...
Couldn't you…
You could try to…
Perhaps you could…
If I were you, I would…
We might as well…
You may like to…
Have you ever considered…?
Have you ever thought of…?
I think you should/ought to …
The best thing would be to...
It would be best if…
One way would be to…
Don’t you think it would be a good idea to…?
Do you think it would be a good idea to…?

D.
Role Play

You are a young person who has decided to marry someone you love who comes from another country (for example, Australia). Today you’ll tell one of your friends of this decision, and ask for his/her advice. Below are some of the reasons why you think your cosmopolitan marriage will be successful (think of other reasons by yourself?)
You feel that by such a marriage, you will:
  • Develop a broader point-of-view
  • Enjoy more straightforward, honest communication
  • Share cultural backgrounds
  • Have a chance to ravel or live overseas
  • Be able to raise bilingual children
You will speak first. Act your part! Listen carefully to your partner!
 

SPOKEN ENGLISH