Social Icons

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Saying Goodbye (Parting/Farewell)



A. 
Saying goodbye is as important as saying hello. The process of saying goodbyes with love and caring can be very meaningful. Don’t be dismayed at good-bye. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments, is certain for those who are friends. We often say ‘bye’ or ‘bye…bye’ instead of ‘good bye’.

B.
Given below is the text of a parting situation:

Venkatesh  : Well, I have an appointment now.
Deepika     : I’m quite in a hurry too
Venkatesh  : Good to see you, Good bye.
Deepika     : Bye, bye, Take care of yourself.

C. 
Now read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

Bye!
Bye, bye!
Good bye!
Good bye for now!
See you!
See you again!
Okay, see you again.
See you in the evening!
Good night!
Take care. Bye!
Bye. Take care of yourself!
Well, bye then, Mathew!
Good bye, everyone!
Must you go/leave now?
Have a pleasant/nice journey.
God bless you.
Please convey my regards/compliments to your father.
May luck be with you?
Good night.
I am going now.
I guess I’d better go now.
It’s getting late, and I have to go now
Must you go so soon?
I am afraid, I really have to.
I will be back.
Certainly, come back soon.
See you later.
Have a nice day!
I hope we can get together again.
Come back to India someday
Have a good flight
Goodbye everyone and thank you for everything.
Bye-mom, see you soon!
See you later guys.
O.K. Bye.
Bye darling.

Remember! : Don’t say “Good Day”, for it’s the usage of the last century. Use “Have a nice day!” instead

Exercise:
Rewrite the sentence given below, substituting the word groups given in brackets.

  1. I have an Appointment soon____________
  2. (very shortly)_______________________
  3. (this evening)_______________________
  4. (in a few minutes)___________________
  5. (an hour from now)_________________

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH