Social Icons

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Phrases used to make requests


A.

Small expressions like “look here”, “Just coming” etc., are very essential to carry on a conversation fluently. Explaining, persuading, advising, sharing, or-daring, influencing – most of our day to day life is spent in verbal or non-verbal communication with others. The infinite possibilities of strong language enable us to convey meaning and define who we are in our personal lives and our career. Just being good at your job doesn’t cut it today. Your skills are limited without a well-developed ability to communicate ideas and intentions. It is your verbal and body language that will take you to the top and allow you to excel there.
To master the skill of making small expressions of this kind read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

B.
General

That’s enough.
Thanks for this honour.
Welcome!
Rest assured.
Not the least.
O.K.
Why not!
Not a bit.
Ta-Ta!
See you tomorrow.
Just coming. / Just a sec’
Very well.
Never mind.
Nothing more.
Nothing special.
How dare he!
It’s fine.
As you like.
Any thing else?
Yes, by all means!
Too much.
Yes, sir!
No, Not at all.

C. 
Request

Please do try again.
Please wait a bit.
Please come here.
Please come in.
Please wake him up.
Please reply.
Please allow me to go.
Please stay a little longer.
Please keep quiet.
Let me see.
Let me work.
Let him pass.
Let me go.
Please wait.
Please come back.
Let it be.
Please come here.
Please reply/answer.
Please wake him up.
Hope to hear from you.
Will you do me favour?
Let me work.
Let me see.
Let them relax.
Please give me a pencil and paper.
Please come day after tomorrow, don’t forget.
Please repeat pardon/I beg your pardon.
Could I ask you to move a little?
Can you see me day after tomorrow?
You won’t forget to write me, will you?
Please forgive me.
Will you please open the window?
All are requested to arrive in time.

D.
Phrases used to make requests.

Please… will/would you…
Will/Would/Can/Could you please…
Do you mind…?
Do you think you could…?
Do you think it would be possible to...?
Would it be possible for you to…?
Would there be any possibility of…
Would you be so kind as to…?
Would you be kind enough to…?
Would you mind…?
Can/could you... for me, please?
Could you possibly…
I’d appreciate it if you could…
Can/Could I ask you to…?
I’d like you to please…
You couldn’t… could you?
You may want to…
You’d better…

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH