Social Icons

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Permission & Consent


Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

A
Giving permission

Yes, you can proceed.
Yes, you can.
You, may go ahead.
By all means.
You can have as many as you want.
You can, if you want.
You may, if you like.
Yes, certainly.
OK.
I suppose so.
Sure, go ahead.
No, I don’t mind.
Not at all. (I don’t mind at all).
Yes, if you want.
Yes, all right.
Go right ahead.
Well, go ahead, if you must.
Yes, if you must.
I see no objection.
Yes, of course.
Yes, that’s fine.
You have my permission.

B.
Asking someone’s permission

May I come in?
Can I come in?
May I have a word with you, sir?
If you don’t mind, I’d like to smoke.
I’d like to stay behind for sometime, if you have no objection.
Would you mind if I smoke?
Can I switch on the TV please?
Could I see you for a moment?
Can I open the window?
Can I make a call from your telephone?
Do you mind if I use your phone?
Could I possibly take the car?
Would you let me take it home for a day?
Can I go too?
Would you object if I take my dog inside?
You don’t mind if I’m a bit late tomorrow, do you?
Would it be all right if I brought him in now?
Can I come with you?
Is it all right to stay up till midnight?
I wonder if I could borrow this book for a few days.

C.
Refusing permission

I’m sorry.
I can’t allow you to do it.
I’m sorry I can’t let you do it.
I’m afraid it’s out of the question.
I’m sorry you can’t do it.
No, I won’t let you do it.
No, you mustn’t do it.
No, don’t go there today.
No, you mustn’t open it now.
You must be joking!
You’d better ask her.
You’re not supposed to do it.
You’re not allowed to do it.
Sorry, you can’t.
Smoking is not allowed, I’m afraid.
Look, the answer is ‘No.’.
It’s out of the question, I’m afraid.
It’s OK with me, but you must ask the Principal.
There’s no way I’m going to let you do it.

D.
Consent

As you like.
You like.
You are right.
Yes, it’s true.
I agree.
I give my consent to this.
I entirely agree with you.
I’ll follow your advice.
I accept your invitation.
I have no objection
I don’t have any objection.
It doesn’t matter.
It will be so.
It’s rather a matter of pleasure.
This is quite right.
Of course, he gave up all hopes of passing high.
Do as your father says.
I am not trying to impose myself on you.
You don’t seem to agree with me.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH