Social Icons

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Obligation


Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by – heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

A.
Stating that you have (don’t have) an obligation to do

I must be there…
I must tell them..
I must do it in the right way
I must do everything I can to help them.
I must be there by Sunday.
I must send the reports today.
I must hand in my report tomorrow.
I have to be there by tomorrow.
I have to be at the office by ten.
I have no choice.
I have to go now.
I have to see that it is running well.
I can’t avoid it.
I can’t refuse to do that.
I can’t get out of doing it.
It’s my duty...
I’ll have to be back here before Thursday.
It is my responsibility to report this to the police.
I’m supposed to do what he tells me.
We needn’t hurry.
We have to show him our ID card.
I had to earn my living in those days.
I’m going to have accepted it.
We don’t have to take them there.
I don’t have to attend tomorrow’s function.
That’s something I have to do urgently.

B.
Asking whether you have an obligation to do or not

I don’t think, I have to go now.
I don’t have to, do I?
Do I have to bring anything with me?
Is it necessary to tell them our intention?
Must I give a reply?
Am I required to hand over these papers to him?
Do I need to leave a note for him?
Must I accept the invitation?
Have I got to give them some more money?
Am I expected to introduce myself to them?

C.
Stating that others have (or don’t have) an obligation to do

You must be there….
You must tell them…
You must do it in the right way
You must do everything I can to help them.
You must be there by Sunday.
You must send the reports today.
You must hand in my report tomorrow.
You have to be there by tomorrow.
You have to be at the office by ten.
You have no other choice.
You have to go now.
You have to see that he is doing well.
You can’t avoid it.
You can’t refuse to do that.
You can’t get out of doing it.
You have to go with your Mum.
You must finish it by Sunday.
You’ll have to pick him up from the Airport.
You’re under no obligation.
You don’t need to hurry.
As per law you’re not required to do it.
You needn’t do it.
You’re expected to get his permission before you do it.
You don’t have to remain there, if you don’t want to.
It’s not necessary to explain everything to them.
It’s up to you.
It’s your duty…
Nobody can force you to do that.
They’ll make you do it.
No, you don’t have to be there before eleven.
There’s no need to rush.

D.
Asking whether others have an obligation to do or not

Has he got to sign there?
Must you work so hard?
Do you need to leave a note for him?
Must you accept the invitation?
Have you got to give them some more money?
Have you got to mention this matter to him?
Are you expected to follow these guidelines?
Do you have to buy it from there?
Are you required to take a photocopy of it?
Do you need to get to the office so early?
Is it necessary for you to collect it today itself?

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH