Social Icons

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Making an Appointment



Read the small conversation texts A & B (given below) several times. Focus on fluency until it feels smooth. If possible record the conversation and listens to it. Re- record until you are satisfied with the fluency. While reading it is advisable to read like: ‘ThisisRonHolland’ as it there is no space in between “This, is, Ron, and Holland”.

A.
Making an Appointment: Dialogue I

  1. Hello. This is Ron Holland. I’d like to make an appointment to see Dr. Hudson
  2. Certainly. What seems to be the problem?
  1. I’d like to have my monthly check-up.
  2. Fine. When would you be available to come to see Dr. Hudson?
  1. Any day next week in the evening would be great.
  2. How about tomorrow at 6 o’clock?
  1. That sounds fine. Thank you.
  2. We’ll see you tomorrow Mr. Ron. Goodbye.
B.
Making an Appointment: Dialogue II

A: Excuse me, madam. I want to meet the MD.
B: Do you have an appointment?
A: No, I do not have an appointment.
B: I am sorry then. You will first have to fix an appointment with him.
A: Could I get an appointment, for now?
B: I am sorry, he is in a meeting, and he won’t be free till 5 in the evening.
A: Could I get an appointment, for tomorrow?
B: I’ll have to check his programmes. Please be seated.
A: Thank you.
B: I am sorry, I forgot. Our MD is going out of station, tomorrow, for three days.
A: I’m not in a hurry. I can wait till he comes back.
B: In that case, I will make an appointment for you. Do you want to meet him on a   
            specific day or time?
A: Let me see. Today is Friday. Could you give me an appointment for Wednesday?
B: Sorry, sir. That’s not possible either.
A: What about Saturday, then?
B: We are closed on Saturday.
A: Well, the best thing would be to put it off till next Monday, the.
B: Yes. That’d be fine. He is totally free on Monday. What time would you like to come?
A: I prefer an appointment in the morning.
B: Would 9:30 suit you, sir?
A: Yes, that’s perfect.
B: I’ve noted it down. Have a nice day, sir.
A: Nice day to you too and thank you.

Now read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

C.
Making appointments

I’d like to make an appointment to see Dr Brown, please.
How soon could I have an appointment?
Would today evening be all right?
Is there any other time I could come today?
Can you give me an appointment on Sunday?
Sunday would suit me best.
Is there any other time I could come today?
Could we arrange day after tomorrow, then?
Could I possible come on Monday?
I’m sorry, I can’t come then.
Can I come earlier in the evening?
Can I come later in the morning?
Will Saturday or Sunday suit you best?
I’d like to come in the evening, please.
Could I come on Saturday Morning?
Could you manage Monday?
Yes, afternoon would do very well.
Which day will be more convenient for you?

D.
Arranging to meet

Meet me in fron of the Museum at 9 in the morning.
I’ll meet you at 9 o’ clock.
Shall we meet at the Railway station?
I’ll pick you up at the Railway station.
OK, we’ll meet for break fast, the.
I’ll pick you up at about 6.00.
I’ll come and meet you at the station.
Shall we make it 6.00 outside the church?
If it’s okay with you, I’ll come at about8.

EXERCISE

    1. You sell expensive medical equipment (a small cyclotron for treating cancer) You have to make an appointment to talk to a doctor who is very incluential at a hospital where you’re trying to close a sale. You want to get him in the right mood so you invite him to play a round of golf at an expensive coutry club.
    2. You used to exhibit the tennis rackets that your small company produced until it went bankrupt many years ago. This year you went back to the show for old time’s sake and you bumped into an old friend you haven’t seen for years. You  make an appointment to get together and reminisce about the old days.
    3. You’re a reporter who wants to write an insider story on the corporate reorganizations that are taking place in the wake of the Asian financial crisis. You make an appointment to talk with an investment banker (a friend of a friend) to talk about what’s going on.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH