Social Icons

Monday, January 16, 2012

Expressing certainty & uncertainty


Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by – heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

A.
Expressing certainty.

I’m sure she’s right.
I’m sure of it.
I’m sure.
I’m certain about that.
I’m convinced of it.
I certainly believe that he was in the wrong way.
I have no doubt about it.
I’m convinced we are not to trust him.
I’m sure she’s done the right thing.
I’m absolutely sure that he is from the United States.
I know what she’s going to do.
I’m certain that she’s the one who did it.
I’m quite sure that they had met earlier.
I don’t doubt that he wanted to help her.
I feel quite sure that it was John.
Obviously…
There’s no doubt about…
There’s no doubt about it in my mind.
There’s no doubt that she comes from a royal family.
He’ll come, I’m sure of it.
He doesn’t stand a chance of winning.
She’ll be here in time, I’m sure.
She’s innocent.
She will only start tomorrow, I’m certain about that.
Without doubt, he’s one of the best singers we have.
It’s quite certain she was trying to fool you.
They must have left by now.
It’s clear that she knows him.
Obviously, she is against this proposal.
We were at fault.
It’s impossible that he could have seen her there.

B.
Expressing uncertainty.

I don’t think so.
I can’t make up my mind.
I can’t decide if I should invite them.
I don’t think you’re right.
I haven’t a clue.
I’m not sure about it.
I’m in two minds whether or not to do it.
I’m not sure.
I’m not sure what to do next.
I’m just not sure.
I’m in two minds about doing it.
I’m in two minds whether to accept it or not.
I’m not sure whether he knows it.
I’m a bit uncertain about this.
I don’t believe this is true.
I don’t know what to tell them
I don’t know whether to accept it or not.
I don’t know whether to do it or not.
I don’t believe that he can do it.
I don’t believe him.
I can’t believe it, I really can’t.
I can’t decide whether to take it back or not.
I can’t decide what to do.
I can’t decide whether to invite him or not.
I’ll possibly be able to do it.
I must say I find that very odd.
Yes, I suppose so.
May be I’ll buy it, may be I won’t.
Well, of course.
It’s up to you.
He’s possibly one of our best workers.
Do you think I should call him?
Perhaps the answer is to leave it to chance.
Oh, I feel in such a muddle.
He can’t have known about it.
He can’t do it, I think.
If only I knew what to do.
Tell me a way out.
Well, may be.
Look, I don’t know what to do.
Oh, I don’t know.
May be I shouldn’t do it.
Perhaps I should write to his Secretary first.

C.
Asking about certainty and uncertainty.

Are you quite sure?
Are you absolutely sure?
Are you sure that he’s her brother?
Are you absolutely certain it was Mary?
Do you think so?
Do you believe that he did it?
Do you think he’ll come?
Do you suppose that he’s right?
How do you know?
So you’re quite sure, are you?
You couldn’t have been mistaken, could you?
Was it, really?
How sure are you?

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH