Social Icons

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Exclamation, Surprise, Admiration, Disappointment


Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.





A.
Exclamations


Welcome, sir!
Wonderful
What a surprise!
Hurrah! I have won!
Thank God!
Good heavens!
Is it!
Really!
Yes, it is!
O God!
Wow! Well done! Bravo!
Marvelous!
Excellent!
How sweet!
How lovely!
How dare you say!
That!
Oh dear!
Hurry up!
Done wonderfully!
Certainly!
By god’s grace!
May God bless you!
Same to you!
How bad!
How joyful!
Beautiful!
Oh!
Quiet, please!
Thanks!
What a great victory!!
Hello, listen!
Hurry up, please!
How terrible!
How disgraceful!
How absurd!
For your good health!
What a shame!
How tragic!
How disgusting!
Beware!
What a pity!


B.
Expressing Admiration.


Terrific!
Ah, super!
Oh, that’s lovely!
Oh, that’s marvelous!
Oh, smashing!
Oh, lovely!
It’s really something!
It’s really wonderful!
Isn’t it beautiful?
Ah, really wonderful!
Isn’t that fantastic!
What a grand view!
That’s incredible!
Really fantastic!
That’s quite fantastic!
I just adore this colour!
It’s absolutely splendid!
I’ve never seen anything like it!
You’re the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen!
I’ve never met anyone so attractive!

C.
Expressing Surprise



What!
What! Really?
Oh, no!
Wow!
Impossible!
You don’t say!
Well, I never!
It’s very surprising to hear this!
Fancy seeing you here!
How strange!
Surely not!

D.
Saying that you’re not surprised

Hey, nothing new!
I’m not surprised.
I’m not surprised by the way he behaved.
I’m not surprised at the news.
What’s new in that?
What’s so unusual in that?

E.
Expressing Disappointment



Oh, dear! What fools we were!
Oh, no!
Oh, damn!
Oh, no! Not again!
Oh no, what a letdown!
Oh well, never mind.
Oh dear! I’ve spilt the milk.
Oh, that’s a nuisance!
Oh no, what a shame!
It was an absolute waste of money.
It’s a little bit disappointing, isn’t it!
It wasn’t as good as I thought it would be.
It’s a great shame.
It’s most unfortunate.
It’s very upsetting that this has happened.
I’m sorry to hear that.
I’m disappointed in him.
I thought he could do better.
I had hoped that I’d be able to meet him.
I’d very much hoped that I’d be able to meet him.
I’d very much hoped that I’d get selected this time.
I wish that someone had let me know.
That’s a great pity.
That’s a pity.
How disappointing!
Things always go wrong.
What’s the point of giving a party now?
I’ve never been so disappointed in my life.
But what good will it do?
Unfortunately, I couldn’t reach there in time.
When I think of it!


0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH