Social Icons

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Can you help me?



Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these words groups aloud several times.

A.
Requesting to help

Can you please help me?
Can you help me please?
Can you give me a pencil?
Can you give me some ten rupees notes, please?
Can you give me another note please?
Can you tell me the current balance in my account, please?
Could you tone down the music, please?
Could I ask you to move a little?
Could you possibly…
Could I borrow your pen?
Can you help me a minute, Please?
Can I have a glass of ice water?
Please help me.
Please give me a pencil and paper.
Will you do me favour?
Will you please open the window?
Do you think you could possibly do it for me?
Give me a hand, Kumar, will you?

B.
Offering help

I’ll help you.
I’ll help you, if you like.
I’ll do it, shall I?
I’ll do it for you.
I can help, if you want.
I’ll ring for the office boy.
I’ll be glad to help, if you need it.
Can I help?
Can I help you?
Can I be of any help to you?
Do you need any help?
Let me help you.
Please let me help you.
Let me carry your luggage.
Let’s have a look.
Permit me to help you.
Could I give you a hand with it?
Allow me to do it for you.
May be, I could help you do it.
Would you like me to close the gate?
Can I help you with it?
Can I be of any help?
Can I help you with anything?
Do you want me to have a look?
Do you want me to help with…?
Do you need some kind of help?
Shall I see, if I can help you?
Perhaps I could help you do it.
I s there any thing I can do to help?
Why don’t you let me help you with…?
Would you like me to get anything for you?
Want me to try?

C.
Accepting help

I’d be glad if you could.
That’s extremely good of you.
That’s very kind of you.
I’d appreciate it if you could.
That’d be lovely
That’d be great.
I’d be glad if you would.
I’d be delighted if you could.
You’re most minds.
Yes, please. I’d appreciate it.
Oh, could you do that?
That’d be very helpful.
Would you?
If you’re sure it’s no trouble for you…
Thanks. That’d be a great help.
Thanks very much.

D.
Declining help

Don’t worry.
That’s OK, thanks.
It’s OK< Thanks.
No, thank you.
Don’t bother.
No, Thanks I can manage.
No, please don’t bother – I can manage.
That’s very kind of you.
Thank you, but I can manage.
I’d rather do it myself, thank you.
No, thanks. I’m fine.
I’d better do it myself, thank you.
I’m all right, thank you.

EXERCISE

Ask the enquiry clerk at the Railway Station in your town to tell you the
1)      Most convenient train from your town to New Delhi
2)      Availability of Sleeper berth for this train.
3)      Fare for this journey.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH